
Focus
In reversal, Trump administration will defend Biden’s asbestos ban
The Hill – July 8
The Trump administration will uphold a Biden-era ban on the ongoing use of asbestos after previously saying it would reconsider the rule. The rule requires companies to phase out their use of chrysotile asbestos, which is the only known type of asbestos still used in the U.S. In a court filing last month, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said it planned to pursue a rulemaking process that could have resulted in changes to the ban. However, in a court filing on Monday it withdrew that previous motion, saying it “no longer intends to conduct … rulemaking to evaluate potential changes at this time.” According to a declaration filed with the court, “EPA plans to explore whether guidance could provide further clarity to stakeholders as they implement the Rule, particularly with respect to any workplace protection measures.”
News
EPA withdraws proposed rules aimed at chemical recycling
Plastics Recycling Update – July 8
EPA has withdrawn rules first proposed by the Biden administration that addressed chemical recycling and had attracted significant industry opposition. On July 9, the agency said it is withdrawing “significant new use rules,” or SNURs, proposed in June 2023 under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) because it had withdrawn the TSCA Order that was the basis of the SNURs in December 2024. The SNURs would have required companies that intend to “manufacture (defined by statute to include import) or process any of 18 specific chemical substances derived from plastic waste for an activity that is proposed as a significant new use [under the] rule to notify EPA at least 90 days before commencing that activity” to allow the agency to assess risks and, if appropriate, regulate the significant new use before it commenced.
Major fine for spill that sent 85,000 gallons of sewage into Lake Tahoe
SFGate - July 9
Caltrans and the North Tahoe Public Utility District agreed to pay $850,000 as part of a settlement with the Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board (Water Board) after 85,000 gallons of raw sewage spilled into Lake Tahoe last summer. Following the spill, the Water Board investigated and confirmed that the spill was caused by a subcontractor, hired by Caltrans, who punctured a sewer main. Water sampling showed elevated bacteria levels in Lake Tahoe, and local authorities issued health advisories and beach closures. The settlement funds will pay for an environmental project to protect water quality in Lake Tahoe and improve sanitation and safe drinking water for the North Shore. The Water Board must approve the settlement agreement before it becomes final, and it is accepting public comments until August 8.
EPA announces settlement on cleanup of Otay Mesa battery fire
The San Diego Union-Tribune – July 7
EPA on Monday announced a settlement with Gateway Energy Storage, LLC — the company that operates a renewable energy battery storage facility in Otay Mesa where a fire occurred in May 2024 inside a building housing lithium-ion batteries. The agency said it will require comprehensive safety measures and monitoring to protect nearby residents and workers during the cleanup process that is still underway. The agency ordered Gateway Energy Storage to conduct environmental monitoring during all battery handling operations; safely remove, package, and dispose of all impacted battery packs; and submit detailed work plans and progress reports to the agency.
Navy asks judge to dismiss claims over radioactive waste cleanup in San Francisco
Courthouse News Service – July 2
A federal judge last Thursday dismissed multiple claims in a lawsuit accusing the U.S. Navy and EPA of mismanaging a decades-long radioactive waste cleanup at Hunter’s Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco. Since 1992, the EPA has overseen the Navy's cleanup efforts at the site, which is now being redeveloped for housing. In his order, U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria dismissed two of the three claims the government asked to dismiss, but declined to toss claims that the government could be violating federal law by being late on its five-year reviews of the cleanup.
*This article may require a subscription to read.
[View source.]